It was released in 1997, Counting back, I was only 10 when I watched it. Titanic left such a huge impact on me that I never really know if it truly is my first movie watched in the theaters, or that any other earlier shows simply faded away in my memory. Given how young I was, it probably really is my first movie. This could also be the reason it remains as my favourite movie of all time and no other shows replaced it in my heart. My first love and it rightly remains so. The emotional roller coaster experienced when the ship hit the iceberg, the tragedy when everyone starts dying, the heartbreak when there is a promise that will never be fulfilled when Rose could not wake Jack up...
I also vaguely remember it was my father who took me to watch the show. It was a huge blockbuster at that time. I saw the trailer on TV and posters everywhere. I later read how people could watch it 7 times at the theatre, but once was enough for me. Significantly, it was not the positive feedbacks that made me watch the show, it was the cinematography that conveyed the grandeur of the film. There were no other shows like that.
Subsequently, I watched it on TV again and taped it down. I bought the pirated VCD and watched it the 3rd time. I don't think I ever watched the whole show again on my 2nd and 3rd watch, it was always the first 1 and half hour before the ship sinks. I could not stand to go through the tumultuous and chaotic scenes again. Therefore rewatching it on theatre this time, I had new understandings of what happened. Things I did not know when I was 10. Like, how the lifeboats had to row further away from the ship when it goes down, otherwise they could get sucked in. Also, Jack's continuous belief and encouragement to Rose that they will be saved. How he made her promise him she will die an old woman, warm in her bed. This is a man with nothing to his name, but everything a woman needs.
I had been diving into Steve Jobs autobiography recently. And I made a link between both: reality distortion field works in a largely positive way, to bend will and make the impossible possible simply because of a strong belief. Both Jack and Steve Jobs (pardon the unlikely comparison) believe in making things work their way. Both believe in the journey and not the ending. And both died, but left a gaping hole in people's hearts.
Every night in my dreams
I see you, I feel you
That is how I know you go on
Far across the distance
And spaces between us
You have come to show you go on
Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on
Love can touch us one time
And last for a lifetime
And never let go till we're gone
Love was when I loved you
One true time I hold to
In my life we'll always go on
Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on
You're here, there's nothing I fear
And I know that my heart will go on
We'll stay forever this way
You are safe in my heart
And my heart will go on and on
updated at 11:44 AM.